My Scribner Seminar is Leather Paper Lead. The course description is:

What do books mean to you? The development of writing, printing, visual text and book forms reveals a wealth of socio-political, cultural, economic, and religious identity at any given place and time. Students will combine an interdisciplinary examination of books with the design of books in the studio to examine the role that books have played throughout history, with a particular emphasis on the 20th century artist's book as an intersection of literature and art. We will investigate rare, unique books from the Scribner Library Special Collections to decipher their history and context in order to develop an appreciation of books as objects, historical documents, and significant intellectual and cultural resources. Through critical study of these original works as well as creative bookmaking assignments, students will experience the unique interplay between word, image, page, identity, and meaning that the genre of artist's books reveal.

Our final project in this seminar is to tell our own story in some way, it is very personal and identity oriented. Therefore the papers that we have written in this class are also very personal in anticipation of this project. The personal aspects of these papers make them very diffenent from papers from other classes that I usually write. The content is not analytical, the form does not always follow the traditional sequence of introduction, thesis, argument, conclusion. The assignments that we were given were very open ended, giving us room to make it our own. This freedom and non relience on outside sources affected the writing style. I would like you to pay attention to how pulled into the writing you are, and why.

Because of the short length of these papers and their individual nature they did not require drafts and seemed to flow easily from my mind.